Monday, July 25, 2011

Re: [Kundalini Yoga] outside criticism

 

This is my advice -- it is based on another discipline I am into called Nonviolent Communication (NVC).

Those people criticized something that is very important to you.  Perhaps you felt sad because your need for respect wasn't being met.  You would have wished that they could have accepted that your way is as precious to you as theirs is to them.

Why were they doing that?

The easy answer is that they are closed minded and unwilling to listen.

But for all their faults they are people who love and care for their families and friends -- just like you do.  The vast majority of the time nobody sets out with the intention to hurt anyone else or cause them pain.  They may well have been well intentioned-- believing what they have been told: if you don't believe as they do, you go to hell; and wishing to spare you that awful fate.  So, in their limited understanding of this universe they said some things that (of course) sounded like criticism to you.   (None of us much likes to be criticized.  That is one of the best ways to keep another person from hearing what you really have to say.)

Assuming that these people are as attached to their beliefs as you are to yours, the most you could possibly hope for from them is that they accept how you differ from them.  (This is certainly a possibility.  I'd bet that most of them have family members who do not follow their beliefs and whom they still love and care about.)  So, if you have something you would like them to hear, I would recommend that you seek to do that in some way that will not lead them to hear that you are now criticizing them.

In NVC (that discipline I mentioned above), they have an involved method for achieving the goal of communicating without sounding like criticism to other people (which is very useful in many ways).  But what I do (which is simpler for me), is that I make sure that I hold in my heart no criticism of them while I am talking to them, and then a lot of times even if I get the words wrong what people mostly hear is what your heart is saying and that often carries me over those errors that I make.

I share this in the hope that it may be helpful to you.  I would enjoy hearing about it, if I have actually accomplished that.

In Peace,
Denise

--- On Tue, 7/19/11, Linda <lndchurchill@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Linda <lndchurchill@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Kundalini Yoga] outside criticism
To: Kundaliniyoga@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, July 19, 2011, 11:47 AM

 

How does one handle the non/un believer in KY...I hear fears that I am dealing with the occult, devil or evil and the cause of many disruptions are brought about because of my practice! Huh? I believe in God, the power of the universe and the intention of peace.

I do not want to discontinue my practice even the slightest bit. Any suggestions on my internal mind overcoming this situation.

Blessings

Beantpal Kaur

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
KUNDALINI YOGA is brought to you by Yoga Technology - Make www.yogatech.com your first stop for all your Kundalini Yoga reading, viewing and listening materials. Now with FREE US Shipping!

GURU RATTANA ONLINE - NEW Ground-Breaking Streaming Video Subscription Service - learn with Guru Rattana in the privacy and comfort of your own home. More details from http://www.yogatech.com/grol.html

FREE ONLINE KUNDALINI YOGA LESSONS - http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/classes.html

FOLLOW GURU RATTANA ON TWITTER - http://twitter.com/gururattana
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment