Thursday, February 16, 2012

[Kundalini Yoga] Re: Pranayam for Vertigo

 

Sat Nam,

Sorry I don't know of a quick fix.

Mountain Pose (standing on one leg) was good for me but only as part of the holistic yoga process.

When I went through a long very highly stressed period of life I developed vertigo which shocked me as I had been sure footed and fearless. As I de-stressed first using the Alexander Technique (AT) then Kundalini Yoga my vertigo got less and less.

My theory
In AT they teach that as we stress up over a life time we develop 'faulty kinesthesia' ie. our mind/bodies sense of position and movement goes out of adjustment.
So my theory was that the balance mechanisms in my ears and the system that uses my eyes were giving conflicting messages. As it happens slowly the mind habituates to the difference. But when looking up at say a tall building or down from a cliff the unusual angles and distances mean the habituation doesn't cover it and the mind gets confused and dizzy. When up a cliff if we realise we can't trust our balance we feel afraid. AT also teaches that in a stressed person our fear reflexes are over-active and fire too strongly - putting the two things together made sense of where this irrational panic came from.

I have no idea how valid this theory is and haven't found anyone yet who agrees with me. However I have so little vertigo it's back to where I was 20 years ago - but not back to nearly non-existent as when I was a crag hopping youngster.

This was a gradual reduction over some years of daily practice. Maybe there's a mmagic kriya?

Keith

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
KUNDALINI YOGA is brought to you by Yoga Technology - Make www.yogatech.com your first stop for all your Kundalini Yoga reading, viewing and listening materials. Now with FREE US Shipping!

GURU RATTANA ONLINE - NEW Ground-Breaking Streaming Video Subscription Service - learn with Guru Rattana in the privacy and comfort of your own home. More details from http://www.yogatech.com/grol.html

FREE ONLINE KUNDALINI YOGA LESSONS - http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/classes.html

FOLLOW GURU RATTANA ON TWITTER - http://twitter.com/gururattana
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment