Monday, April 4, 2011

RE: [Kundalini Yoga] Classes

 

I've been teaching Hatha about 10 years, my husband Tai Chi about 25. We
figure if 20 people show up first time, 12 will come back by 3rd time, and 5
for a few weeks, ending up with one or two who are committed to learning.
(we now have our own studio ... certainly not paid for by our teaching
income, but by our "day jobs" and some outside teaching with do at Wellness
Centers).

My teachers at the 3ho Ashram in KC said the first time Yogi Bhajan taught
there, nobody came. At our studio we see them come and go ... commit for
awhile, and stop ... although some stop after many years and continue with a
home practice.

It is difficult to "keep the faith" ... but we, Kundalini Yoga teachers, are
performing a very important service to our community and to the world right
now. My husband and I are both 3HO certified and when we travel (to visit
family, etc.)I contact studios in the area to see if they would host an
intro to Kundalini Yoga class on a donation basis. We just started this
(traveling in July) so we'll see what happens.

We're also working on offering a day-long intro at various retreats in the
area ... again on a donation basis. It is important we "get the word out",
allow as many people to experience it as we can, and know that what we are
doing may save our planet --and we change people and the world one person at
a time.

Being in the South, as we are, even Hatha Yoga is often "frowned upon" , and
we have students who "feel wonderful" after a Kundalini Yoga class ... but
we never see them again.

Change is "scary" for some (well, for many), but YB believed that during
this time and in the near future, people would be coming to us to "help" ...
it is important that they know we are here when they need us.

I'm taking a lot of flyers around, posting in coffee shops, health-food
stores, etc. with little tear-offs at the bottom with the website and phone
... talks at the Library and sometimes books stores (so they can sell Yoga
books) etc. also helps.

Can you teach in your home until you have more students? Sometimes churches
will allow you to use their space for free if you don't charge for the class
(donation).

Don't give up, but always consider alternatives. perhaps private classes
would be better in the beginning. Or offer to teach a group at their work
place if they get enough people together and for a set price. (I've done
that too in the past)

Good luck ... blessings ... and Sat Nam,

Arjinder K.

<http://www.beliefnet.com/media/spacer.gif>
Life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.

- Grandma Moses

_____

From: Kundaliniyoga@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Kundaliniyoga@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Lily
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 6:22 AM
To: Kundaliniyoga@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Kundalini Yoga] Classes

Sat Nam Yogis, I am having some trouble feeling supported by my practice. I
am a disciplined level 1 Kundalini Practioner with a daily morning sadhana
and a very commited on going 40 day meditations.(for 2+ years) I have been
keeping up steadily for over 2 years. Here is my issue. I teach 2 classes a
week at a studio where I pay rent. I show up, I am well prepared,I say my
teachers oath,I feel honored to taech but for 2 years now only one or two
students come. I am loosing money and faith. I know I am learning humility
but I am about ready to throw in the teaching towel. What are your thoughts?
Sat Nam Thank you.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
KUNDALINI YOGA is brought to you by Yoga Technology - Make www.yogatech.com your first stop for all your Kundalini Yoga reading, viewing and listening materials. Now with FREE US Shipping!

GURU RATTANA ONLINE - NEW Ground-Breaking Streaming Video Subscription Service - learn with Guru Rattana in the privacy and comfort of your own home. More details from http://www.yogatech.com/grol.html

FREE ONLINE KUNDALINI YOGA LESSONS - http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/classes.html

FOLLOW GURU RATTANA ON TWITTER - http://twitter.com/gururattana
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment